Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Maker Faire

“This, From That” in today’s New York Times was an interesting read this morning. It was ironic as I was in a bookstore last night and I was looking at a couple of books that discussed the change from a society that made things to a society that bought things. Make, Instructables, and some of the other places discussed in the above article I think is a reaction to this in part. I say in part, because I don’t think the love of tinkering really ever goes away. However there are a few issues in our world today that make it a little harder. Safety concerns are a lot different from even when I was a kid. Kids are more protected. Lawsuits are more of a potential. Risk management is a real concern. Instead, I think the Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden ought to be required reading.

At any rate I think that a successful TD must have ability and desire to tinker, think outside the box, and play around with ideas and odd parts. And the ability to go to an event like that one discussed in the article sounds like great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment